My humble request to all traveller and hikers. Please dont leave your plastics bags, bottles etc while you travel, hike or camp. Carry and dispose it off to the nearest waste disposal area. Incase if you find some litter already there, be a responsible citizen and dispose it off. Let the place be clean for all :-)

Thursday 31 March 2011

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary, Srirangapatna Karnataka : March 2011

Ranganathittu is about 3-4kms from Srirangapatna highway (take right from highway which goes towards Hunsur/ Coorg). Spread over an area of about 67sq km, it is located on the banks of Kaveri river including 6 islets. It is one of the nesting and breeding grounds for migratory birds from all across globe. The Sanctuary is now a paradise for bird watchers, wildlife enthusiasts and nature lovers. Spoonbill, open bill stork, painted stork, little cormorants, egret, heron etc have made Ranganathittu their breeding abode. Few migratory birds even fly all the way from North America, Siberia and Australia for breeding.
Its open on all days from 0900 till 1800hrs.


March 21, 2011 : The Supermoon Day
I started early morning around 0600hrs from Bangalore towards Ranganathittu. Initial plan was to visit sanctuary and later during the day find accomodation somewhere nearby but outside the town limits to get clear clicks of Supermon during evening. Carrying my entire camera and lens gear over bike was difficult so took my car for this trip.

Great Egret

Open Bill Stork

Painted Stork
I reached sanctuary around 0915hrs and immediately took relevant entry/ car park/ boat ride tickets to avoid bright sun for pictures. I must admit, the way they have maintained sactuary is really nice. Not sure how i missed to visit all these years. However the biggest disappointment was to see vegetables being cultivated in vast lands within sanctuary limits.


Spoon Bill

Marsh Crocodile

Open Bill Stork


I was lucky enough to see the place full of Open Bill Stork, Painted Stork, Egret, Little Cormorants, Marsh Crocodiles etc, knowing that I was visiting during off season. The best time to visit is during end of monsoons. Boat ride was nice however for photographers, I believe building watch towers at regular distances is a good job.

Spot Billed Pelicans


Spoon Bill + Painted Stork + Open Bill Stork

By noon I was done with taking photographs. There is a small Veg Cafeteria inside the premises and they have decent options for lunch. I tried getting accomodation nearby but either it was full or was out of my planned budget for the trip. (Accomodation options nearby are KSTDC Mayura riverview, Amblee river resort, Young island resort etc. Since they are adjacent to Kaveri river, its a beautiful view being there during evening.)

Though I always carry my tent during all trips, but it was too hot to put up tent anywhere. So finally decided to drive back to Bangalore. On the way back the thought of stopping over at Ramnagara did cross my mind (I have been planning for a long time to do camping over one of those majestic hills of Ramnagara) but leaving car somewhere in the village would have been a challenge. Its best to reach Ramnagara town by bus and then trek.

Finally reached Bangalore around 1700hrs and took some photographs of Supermoon from the terrace of my apartment :-)

Supermoon - March 21, 2011



No comments:

Post a Comment